Stroll northward through the meadow to the Yellow Springs Cultural Center. The original barn was built in 1845 and has been through several phases of adaptive restoration. In the 1920’s the PA Academy of the Fine Arts converted it to studio space for its Country School students and it was known as the Sculptors’ Studio.
In the 1950’s Good News Productions added a sound and film studio in the loft. The Yellow Springs Institute, a non-profit performing arts organization, was formed in 1976 and purchased the barn and five acres from Historic Yellow Springs. They converted the loft to a black box theatre (1982) and added a conference center (1989).
Historic Yellow Springs was able to re-purchase the property in 1997 and created the Yellow Springs Cultural Center. In 1998 extensive improvements were made in memory of George Congdon, long-time Yellow Springs Board member. In 2005, West Pikeland Township purchased the building to use as their new headquarters.
“Chester Springs was a Shangri-la and the Sculpture Barn was like a cathedral, with great north light – the three-dimensional lighting that you needed.”
Celebrated sculptor Angelo Frudakis in an interview at Historic Yellow Springs, Sept. 1997