The Washington Building
Begin your stroll through the village at the beautiful Washington Building. The earliest record of the structure is a permit for use as a tavern in 1750. By the 1760’s, the original log cabin structure had been replaced with additions through 1876. Its name is derived from several visits to the village when George Washington used it as a temporary headquarters.
The building has served as an inn/restaurant/hotel and place of entertainment during both Spa eras (1722-1777 and 1781-1865), a boy’s dormitory and dining room for the Soldiers’ Orphans School (1869-1912), a men’s dormitory and dining room for the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts Country School (1916-1952), and a food cafeteria and housing for employees of Good News Productions (1952-1974). The building was a restaurant until 2005.
Today Historic Yellow Springs has renovated the building and it is a venue for special events, conferences and classes.
“Mrs. Halman respectfully informs those who wish to partake in the usual harvest celebrations, that she has employed the best musicians, and intends procuring the best liquors, &c. that she is determined nothing shall be wanting to render every accommodation desirable. From the abundance of the present harvest, she has reason to expect that the celebrations will be numerously attended, and is making preparation accordingly.
Advertisement in the American Republican, July 27, 1819.